Hiedi France, Ed.D., is a school psychologist and author who has devoted her career to helping children succeed. She is also the founder of Behavior Savers which makes easy to use social emotional resources for educators, therapists, and parents.
We are so happy to present groups of products that we felt were worthy of our attention and consideration. We only post reviews of things we have actually used and can attest to their greatness. We hope this helps any educator create the learning environment that you are wanting.
Did you know that our memories are tied to multiple senses including scent? It can elicit different feelings based on how your brain has attached that scent to your memory. It is why we can feel welcomed when we smell chocolate chip cookies or scared if we smell burning rubber. Using scents in the classroom is one way you can help your students to find calm. Honestly, it helps me to find calm somedays! These 5 products are my favorite to use in the classroom. They are easy to use and helpful for many of the students that I work with. Just to note…be sure to try out specific scents before you commit to them. Many candle or holistic stores have samples that you can try out first. Also, make sure none of your students are very sensitive to scents. There are some students with allergies or disabilities that can be triggered by scents.
Our 5 Favorites:
1. Aromatherapy Diffuser-I have had several diffusers. This one is my favorite because it is compact and looks good on my desk. It also has a shut off timer. This is important for me because I burned my last one out because I started it in the morning and forgot to add more water. Oops!
2. Kid Friendly Essential Oils-These essential oils are the easiest to use when first trying out different scents. They are based on what you are trying to do. Blends like Sniffles & Sneezes, Study Buddy, Up & At ‘Em, Bee Happy, Focus Focus Focus, Healthy Hero, Breathe In Breathe Out, Calm ‘Em Down, Head-A-Sore-Us, Soothe & Smooth, Sound Asleep and Tummy Aid. No need to create your own blend.
3. Slap Bracelet Essential Oil Diffuser Bracelet-Young Kids-I love these bracelets. I once passed them out in a middle school classroom for a mindfulness unit. I thought the students would use them once then ditch them. My students wore them every day and said they really helped them. I paired them with the essential oils and they each liked choosing the one that they felt calm with.
4. Locket Style Essential Oil Diffuser Bracelet-Older Kids-I bought these as a mother’s day gift for the mother’s in my family. I ordered myself one and really loved it too! It was a great way to add some aromatherapy all day long. If you work with older teens, I could see them really liking this.
5. Black Spider Essential Oil Diffuser Bracelet-It is hard to sometimes get the boys to embrace some of the therapy ideas. I loved that this was more boy friendly. I used these with my elementary boys. They loved that they had a cool thing to wear.
Bonus…Roll on Kids Essential Oil Set-The same as number 2 above but the oils come pre-diluted and in a roll on bottle. These are great if you have parent permission to use in a therapeutic environment. I once had a student who would put on the Calm ‘Em Down oil each morning. He thought it was the best scent and would smell it if he felt frustrated.
Disclaimer: Behavior Savers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products. The money received goes back into website management fees so I can continue to provide a platform that I believe my fellow educators benefit from.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.